Saturday, February 18, 2012

They're Called Action Figures

I started playing BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic (TOR) just after Christmas. It almost took me back to the days when I would drag my Star Wars toys to my friend's houses in my little red wagon. And as MMOs go they've done some really cool things in addition to many tried and true MMO features. But one of my absolute favorites is the use of companions.

Players of the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) will remember that during the course of the game you pick up a handful of characters that help you with your adventure. And really, several RPGs do this: Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights, and others.
Imperial Agent with Droid Companion

What TOR does to sweeten this experience though is to take all the crafting that the player usually has to do (from making armor to cooking meat), and lets you assign it to up to three of your companions. In the early levels of the game when you only have one companion this isn't a big deal. But later when you get three or more companions and can send them to get things for you while you're off adventuring... well... that's awesome.

Throw in several customization kits for each companion so you can tweak their look and I'm having as much fun as I did playing with my Star Wars dolls!

"Did you see anything?"

"No sir! I did not see you playing with your dolls again."

"GOOD!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts